MATC has launched our 1,400 signature petition campaign to get on the April 2015 ballot for local support. Here are some excerpts from one of our information brochures.Our Need
- As state and federal funding for higher education continues to dwindle, colleges and universities must rely upon local support more than ever before.
- MATC continues to grow at an exciting rate and has reached capacity. This situation has resulted in hampering access to our programs and services and often delays potential students from entering their fields within a reasonable time frame or at a location they desire.
- Since MATC is recognized as important to regional economic development, we need to provide the voters with the opportunity to decide the College’s future.
Where the Support Will Go
The proceeds of the additional retailers' sales tax of two-tenths of a cent ($0.002) will be used by the College for the purposes of sustaining quality technical and general education opportunities within the region and maintaining appropriate infrastructure and programs to accommodate expected regional population growth.Without limiting the general nature of the use of funds, here is a minimum general list:
- Expansion and renovation of existing facilities
- Community business, industry, and trades training
- Workforce economic development initiatives for business and industry
- Campus safety and security enhancements
- Expand affordable and alternative educational opportunities
We have started internally, asking our staff and students who live and vote in Manhattan to lend their signatures to one of many copies of the petition being circulated. We have students and staff volunteers from across the campus acting as "Circulators". We will be expanding into Business and Industry a little later in the month but will come to them now if called for signatures, any time and any place.
All that this campaign will do is get us on the April 2015 ballot for Manhattan. Then it is up to the community to decide if adding 2/10ths of a penny to our taxes in order to help MATC is worth it.
Personally, I say that we are worth it.
Good Guys and Goggles:
Auto Collision Repair received a large donation of safety glasses and goggles from MCR Safety, which they have shared with our Auto Technology and Machining students. The gang also took a quick trip earlier this week to check out the Good Guys Car Tour when it was passing through Manhattan.
Two historic events on the same day...MATC gets a sign on Seth Child Road AND Dr. Rob takes his first "selfie". While I'm pretty sure neither news item will be trending by the end of the day, we are very pleased to have our sign up after many months of waiting. While the electricity for the lighting has yet to be accomplished, she's down there in front of the College and looks great. Let's withhold editorials on how the selfie looks, OK?
|CNC Machining Lathe|
Muscular Dystrophy Jail: I still need $115.00 bail money to stay out of the Charity Jail. Of course the money goes to Muscular Dystrophy research to help find a cure for this deadly disease. If you like to help with a few dollars, let me know and together we'll try to make a difference.
On a personal note, my wife Brenda is getting her first horse tomorrow. This is Dollar. He is a 12 year old grey gelding Quarter horse. Can anyone say "lifestyle change"? We are looking forward to getting to know this beautiful animal.
Have a great weekend all.